Saturday, July 28, 2012

Stargazing

Yesterday I dawned in a melancholy dispostion as the London 2012 Olympics were that night and I had only fallacious hope of seeing the opening ceremony. While stargazing the previous night, I was struck by a bout of homesickness which also led to my doleful mood. While staring at the azure firmament, handfuls of sattellites tore through the sky and after seeing a picture of my sister on facebook I broke into sobs. It's funny how at the airport we were just an aggregation of students but as I was weeping I felt completely supported.

So as Olympic day progessed, an inner maelstrom brewed inside me. Phelp's lake was obviously scenic with vermillion and amythyst wildflowers protruding out of sable soil next to green trees but I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. But after coming back to the campus and seeing Kate Middleton's outfit I was relieved. Then, I was handed an un-birthday card with Will and Kate beaming up at me, and I felt close to ecstatic. Finally the cosmos erupted again with guilded stabs of sunlight piercing the clouds and illuminating the Grand Tetons like stained glass. Abruptly raindrops as indurate as diamonds crashed to the earth and the whole team dashed outside with our arms spread apart, all incandescently happy.

-Kirsten

Charles and Kirsten

Phelps Lake (view of Death Canyon)

No comments:

Post a Comment